Hi…here I´m with the Nemesis of the Great War Infantry combined with the Heavy Machine Gun!!!, the “Barbed Wire” those element It´s a must have on a fortified list or if you have a Pionier list, with Supply Trucks, can allow to deploy on the table, two sections of those defensive element, it makes too difficult the access of vehicles, remember becomes to a difficult terrain and all vehicles who crosses them move only 20 cm …
For those DiY project We used….
- 3 mm DM Fiberboard.
- Gap Filler paste.
- Sand, gravel, peebles.
- Metal Ruler.
- X-Acto Knife.
- Acrylic Paints.
- Wire (to simulate Barbed Wire)
- Tufts and flowers.
First the ball, the DM fiber board it´s a very useful stuff and can be cutted easily using a sharpy X-Acto Knife, then ¡Be careful with those tool, cuts much and can give you a serius injuries if you don´t use it properly!!!!
The standard measures of those kind of elements at Flames of War, always are the same….20 cm long and 5 cm wide, here we´re place the barbed wire!!!.
Over a cutting mat, We cut two sections of DM fiberboard of 20 x 5 cm, passing the blade more than one time, firmly and following the metal ruler, its easy.
That´s right we have two straigh barbed wire sections, but this is not enough!!!.
The most important phase, with the X-Acto knife We did bevels in booth wide sides…..then priming, We painted whith wattered down glue two coats on each faces.. Once dries, those actions help us to avoid warpping and allow to take well gap filler paste.
Then We apply with splatter the filler, with entropy its easy.
Once filler dries, using watered down glue we spread sand, gravel and peebles. Let dry and brush two coats of wattered down glue to fix all textures.
That´s it it seams really a future desertic field…Now We proceded to painting process.
First the ball, primming, We used Geman Grey Primer from Vallejo.
Then We painted with Middlestone of Vallejo sanded areas and filler areas with Brown sand of Vallejo.
Peebles were painted with English Uniform of Vallejo.
Then We highlighted using a mix of each base color and adding Iraqui Sand.
Finnally, heavy dry brush using Iraqui Sand from Vallejo.
For the barbed wire stands We cutted small pieces of matchsticks and glued them with Super Glue. Finally We painted them with Burnt Umber from Vallejo and then Highlighted with Iraqui Sand from Vallejo.
For the wire We used sealing wire used to seal with special tools, in french they call it “Fill a Plomber”..those seams to the Barbed Wire, but it looks to much brilliant. See the link …Sealing Wire
Then We wheatered the wire adding Rust Streaks of AkInteractive to give a rusty aspect and added Rust Pigments from AkInteractive.
Finnally we added some straw tufts a flowers…
In those area usually grows grass too much…
We can add some variations, doing in angle the sections, giving them more versatile to the form of the game table.
We can add Chezc Barriers, Shape H beams, Concrete Teeths, instead the matchsticks, etc…to have more variations and types of barbed wire sections…
Use your imagination…