15 Mar

Psc german trucks – update 1: wheels- by Eduard Ferrer

Hi folks.
Here comes a small update to my popularly acclaimed original PSC German truck review.
This time I’ll show you how the extra 5 German Trucks made of spare parts from the original PSC sprue come alive.
If you remember I told you it was pretty easy to build the free extra 5 trucks from the box, using some plasticard and cut sprue. The only missing key pieces to complete the spare trucks were the frontal wheels.
Ok, here comes to the rescue another brilliant Green Stuff product: Blue Stuff Moulds 4 bars.

Blue Stuff sticks is a new generation of thermo plastic moulding material which can be reduced to mouldable conditions by immersion in hot water for 3 minutes, as many times as necessary.
It allows you to create an instant mould of any piece you need, by pressing the plastic material against the piece you want to have the mould made from. After that, you can make copies by using any kind of putty, polyester resins or even epoxy resins. No material will get stuck.
While the producer says ‘New improved formulation that will allow you to have better details since the plastic will remain longer in soft state.’ I don’t find it to be very true since you hardly have 10 seconds to press the wheel on it before the blue stuff starts to harden and to be unresponsive to any pressure.

So I was unable to make the proper mould of two wheels in one single try. When I finished the first wheel mould I needed to reheat the product with hot water to get it responsive again.
One key tip is to get the water REALLY hot, almost to boiling point. It is not about ‘oh it’s hot I can’t touch it, it will suffice’. No, you need it hotter.
All in all, once the necessary conditions are met the mould is made retaining precise detail.

Here you can see many copies of the wheels made from the Blue Stuff mould and filled with Standard Milliput, also from Green Stuff.

As you may have observed, they are single sided. No detail is present on the inner part of the wheel, because I made just a one sided mould since it is easier to make, and anyway the inner part of the wheel will be hardly seen in normal conditions. The yellowish colour comes from the standard Milliput. I’m, overall, happy with that two part epoxy putty, although it is a bit coarse. Given the detail precision needed on such a small piece, maybe it would have been better to use the superfine Milliput.

Remember, you’ll need to cast 10 copies to fulfill the required truckneed. You are advised to make a 2mm depth hole on every inner side of the wheel to accommodate the pin that will hold both wheels. In the picture you can see some irregularities on the pattern thread. This is because of the one sided mould, though, on a two sided mould, you’ll probably also face some others problems like mould seams or even worse: asymmetries. Anyway you can sand the pattern thread cautiously so not to wipe out the detail. All in all, remember these are 7mm diameter wheels… you are seeing them very magnified in a computer screen.

Ok, here come the pictures of shame. You can see the rough but still effective, fast and cheap engineering to create the wheel frame. Yes, I used a wooden tooth pick to unite both wheels!
As simple as that! If we assume no inner wheel detail is present, we can extend that blind eye turn to the rest of the truck lower parts. A thin cut small sprue piece is put under the wooden tooth pick since you need an extra 1mm height to get the wheels properly positioned.

You can also see how the rear wheels frames were made by using the L shaped sprue that comes from the kit.

Once upside up, and put together side by side of a ‘nominal truck’ you can see the resin wheels are a tad bigger, but the detail is close to the original piece.

Here we have the five spare trucks, which they would still be on the sprues if no imaginative effort was placed.

Thx, for watching!!! See ya…Next one!!!

 

 

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: